Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Priorities Mixed Up?

As Christian, we must understand that if our priorities are mixed up, then our values are confused.

Matt 6:33 spelled it clearly: “But seek ye first the kingdom of God and his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you.”

Many individuals have problems in their lives because their priority is not the kingdom of God, nor is it the righteousness of God. The Bible teaches that we must seek first the kingdom of God. Where there is a kingdom, there is a king. The king is supreme in his kingdom. The king is first in His kingdom. The king is number One in his kingdom, nobody comes before the king. In the Kingdom of God, God is the king. God is supreme first and the number One in His Kingdom. Therefore, we must put God first in our lives. We have to make Him the priority.

Let me ask you a question: “Is God first in your life?” I am not asking if God is a resident in your life, but I am asking is God the President of your life! I am not asking if God has a piece in your life or if God has a place in your life or if God has a part in your life. I am asking is God the priority in your life. If not, then ‘what is your priority?’ How can I make God the priority in my life?

Firstly, we can give God the first thought of everyday – Ps 5:3 “In the morning, O LORD, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait in expectation.” & Ps 63:1 “O God, you are my God, earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you, in a dry and weary land where there is no water.”

Secondly, we can give God the first consideration in every decision.

Col 3:17 “And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.”

2 Cor 8:5 “And they did not do as we expected, but they gave themselves first to the Lord and then to us in keeping with God's will.”

Let us sets our priority right. Let us inquiry of the Lord first – “where shall I go” & “What shall I do Lord”! Amen.

1 comment:

Wilson Tan said...

Amen! Indeed! So often we are missing the BIG picture when we unknowingly place "idols" in our lives over God. I was just reminded of this during Rev. Dr. David Jackman's talk last Friday at the English Presbytery Training Conference. He said that Rev. Tim Keller of Redemption Presbyterian Church in New York often challenged his congregation to constantly check their hearts for "idols" in their lives. What a wonderful and important message for today!