Friday, February 24, 2006

Adventure Camp Reflections: No walls too high…

So glad that at least for a day, I could join my youths and friends from the other Presbyterian churches for the recent Synod Youth Leader’s Adventure Camp (Yah lah… this kind of thing how can miss out?). Besides, when it comes to our Synod Youth’s events, our track record has been pretty good… All thanks to our faithful God and the folks who have been most supportive!

Trust me, I was pretty knocked out by the flu bug earlier on. Even on the day when I joined them, I was still a little under the weather and started doubting my own wisdom in wanting to rough it out together with my team who attempted the Low-Element obstacles. But I just couldn’t bear to leave my 16-17 year olds to be on their own. I mean, this was the first time they attended a Synod Youth Event and as their pastor I should at least be there to give moral support right?

In the end, it was my own spirit which was lifted up. You see, for my own youths, I think my short “absence” helped them to be a bit more independent and forthcoming in rallying together as well as learning to come out of their comfort zone. I was thankful that they enjoyed themselves and more importantly, caught a glimpse of the bigger Body of Christ found in the bonds we share as fellow Presbyterians.

The Lord also laid an impression upon my heart when I saw the camp participants taking leadership and showing determination in their quest to get everybody over the final Low Wall obstacle. What I envisioned was the future of our denomination. Young lives yielded to the hands of our Almighty God, with all the purposefulness, potential, passion and perseverance. Who can imagine how great an impact they can make for Christ in our churches, marketplace, nation and the lands beyond when they so go forth with the abundant resources God has blessed them with in their lives?

You know, you could sense the youth’s triumphant joy and relief each time they managed to get someone over the wall. Everybody pitched in, lend a hand or two and I noticed some sacrificially offering their backs time and time again as a “launching pad” so that others could reach the hands that were stretched out to them from above. The task at hand was more important and it was no longer just the business of Jubilee, or Covenant or Glory, etc. Indeed it was just amazing how things came together even though the youths hardly knew each other before this and there was no clear designation of roles assigned to them. As the Psalmist says “... with my God I can scale a wall” (Ps 18:29). Imagine how much further we can go, when our brothers and sisters are there to lift us up and look beyond the horizons…

Pr. Edwin Wong Posted by Picasa

No comments: