Friday, August 25, 2006

Testimony

A university undergraduate in Swansea, Wales, who fought with a sense of being unwanted came to faith in July, rejoices CWM missionary Molly Chua.


Undergraduate Cathleen Zhang is the only child of a well-to-do family, but she grew up feeling very rejected and unloved by her paternal grandmother especially, who was hoping for a grandson to carry on the family line.

Her grandma even suggested having someone else care for her in the countryside, thus not recognising her existence, so that her parents could try again to have a baby boy.
As I was praying I felt the pain and anguish in her heart

When she came to Swansea she came to know my husband Charles and I as a Christian family and later the Welsh church family. She felt very loved and that people do sincerely care for her. She talked to her mum about us and the happenings in Swansea almost every day. Even her non-Christian mother asked her: "When are you going to become a Christian?"

She faithfully went to church, the English corner language lessons and weekly Bible study. But all that time I sensed there was a mental block.

We continued to reach out to her with God's love and help her when she faced difficulties.

Invitation
One Sunday in July as usual she came over to my house for lunch after church. Later she asked to talk to me in private and unveiled her story.

She had come to me that Sunday because she could not carry the burdens of her heart any longer and was looking for help. She knew the Bible teachings were good for her, but felt helpless because she was not able to follow them.

We prayed together and as I was praying I felt the pain and anguish in her heart and we both wept. It was through the release of the pain in her heart that the Lord brought about healing, peace and rest. She left my house a very happy and peaceful person.

Rev Charles and Molly Chua from the Presbyterian Church in Singapore are mission enablers to the Presbyterian Church of Wales. Among their activities are Bible studies for people who are interested in Christianity, many of them students from China.

No comments: